Building a Library for my Daughter

I have always had a deep love for books, from a very very young age. I was also very lucky to have a mother who encouraged my reading, and a home full of all kinds of books for me to discover. Now that I am a mother myself, I want to encourage my daughters love for reading the same way. I want to build her a library.

Our home will always be full of books, with both myself and my partner being avid readers, and our girl already has shelves overflowing with beautiful picture books that she adores. but I wanted to start creating a little library specifically for her to grow up with. A library full of all the amazing stories I loved as a child, for her to discover in her own time.

The Collection so far…

At this stage the collection is made up of around 120 of books. Titles by Roald Dahl, Jaqueline Wilson and Enid Blyton. Series such as Harry Potter, The Fantastic Five, The Babysitters Club and Goosebumps. And classics such as Treasure Island, Black Beauty and The Secret Garden.

Some of these were mine and my partners that we have saved over the years, and others are ones I have been picking up from second hand bookstores and garage sales around our town. Many of the series’ are missing titles here and there, so I am always hunting for them so I can fill in the gaps. It is definitely a lot of fun hunting around for all these wonderful books for my girl!

My hope is that simply having all of these amazing adventures at her finger tips will nurture her love of books and keep it growing over the years. That when she sees her father or I pick up a book on a rainy Sunday, she will head over to her own little collection and grab herself a book too.

My love of literature has not only got me through tough times, but it has also taught me so many valuable things. I just hope my girl can get something positive and wonderful from all these books, like I did.

What were some of your childhood favourites? Anything you think I should add to the list?

1. bookishgirl61

July 22, 2017 at 2:47 am

This is such an amazing idea! The collection you’ve started is absolutely magnificent. I recognize many of the books that I enjoyed as a child too! My favorite books as a child were The Magic Tree House series; they’re super fun and even educational. Good luck! Happy reading!

July 25, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Ohh thats a wonderful one! Definitely adding that to my list!

Thanks for reading 🙂

2. Top Ten Tuesday - Childhood Favourites | Book & Bloom

July 25, 2017 at 6:06 pm

[…] to look back through the past topics and pick one that was relevant. In light of my last post about Building a Library for my Daughter, I have chosen Top Ten Childhood Favourites as this weeks […]

3. Holly

July 26, 2017 at 12:24 am

I love this post!! <3 I really loved Nancy Drew when I was younger as well.

July 26, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Thank you! Nancy Drew will definitely be a part of her collection, but so far I only have one for her! I am always on the look out for more though 🙂

4. Bary

July 26, 2017 at 1:56 am

Before I reached the age of twelve, I read all of Grimm’s and Andersen’s fairy tales. Edith Hamilton’s Mythology would also be a good addition.

July 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I have added my old copy of Grimms Fairy tales to her collection 🙂 I still read them often. I hadn’t thought of Mythology, but that is a fantastic suggestion! Thank you 🙂

5. Jane the Raincity Librarian

August 5, 2017 at 2:44 am

I remember falling completely in love with the Chronicles of Narnia as a young girl, and I went through a phase where I wouldn’t read anything but Goosebumps. 😀

August 5, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I fell in love with Narnia as a young girl too. I really hope my daughter will love the series just as much!