It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? #6

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme to share what you recently finished reading, what you’re currently reading, and what you plan on reading next. It’s an awesome way to connect over books and to find out about new books for your TBR! This weekly post is hosted by the wonderful Bookdate. You can find my last weeks post HERE

What I read last week!

Since You’ve Been Gone – Morgan Matson

Okay, so I have finally read a Morgan Matson book and I really really loved it! It was a super easy and fun read, and would have been a perfect choice for the Summer. However, I still enjoyed it even if it is cold and rainy down here in the Southern Hemisphere.

I know contemporaries aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I find them very entertaining, and a great cleanser in between massive fantasy books or a really long series.

I think what I loved most about this book was the inclusion of all the playlists! It made it really interactive, and I have since started adding them over on the Book & Bloom Spotify which you can find HERE. I can’t wait to use the ‘Run, Emily, Run!’ playlist while I am training.

I will definitely be picking up more of Matsons books in the future. Usually I would wait till Summer, but I don’t think that will be the case this time around.

Currently reading…

Shiver – Maggie Stiefvater

So I am not very far into this one yet, however I am very very intrigued. The feel of the writing is definitely very different to The Raven Cycle, but I feel as though I am still going to enjoy this series quite a bit.

I honestly haven’t really picked up many books involving Warewolves. They usually just aren’t really my thing, but I am finding it quite refreshing to be reading something that I normally wouldn’t. Even though I am only a short way in I can already tell you that I will be passing it over to my boyfriend next. He is a massive Warewolf fan.

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters – Rick Riordan

If you have been keeping up with the blog, you will know that I am currently making my way through the Percy Jackson series for the first time. If you missed it, you can read about it HERE.

I am definitely enjoying the second book more than the first… update on how I went with the first book HERE.

I’m already near the end of this one, so I should be posting my update on how I’m going with the series very very soon.

What’s next?

Linger – Maggie Stiefvater

I haven’t read a series in about a month now, so I am really looking forward to having this ready and waiting for me once I finish Shiver. This is definitely my favourite cover of the three. I am definitely someone who judges a book by it’s cover (at least at first), and this one really appeals to me.

I don’t really know what to expect at this point, as I am still not very far into Shiver, but I am excited nonetheless.

What are you reading this week? Anything exciting coming up next for you?

1. Kathryn

July 3, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Nice to have a series that you are enjoying. Also nice to meet up with a fellow NZer on the meme. I like contemporaries too and am only a very mild fantasy reader!

July 3, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Yay, a fellow kiwi blogger 🙂 It’s been a while since I picked up a series so I’m really enjoying finishing one book and knowing I have another to pick up! I am a massive fantasy lover, but contemporaries are a lot of fun too.

Thanks for stopping by!

2. booksandmunches

July 3, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief felt pretty ‘childish’ to me when reading it, but it did get better in the sequels! I hope you experience that as well!
    I have yet to read the Shiver-series and The Raven Cycle – sue me – so I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them. ^-^

July 3, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Haha, yes! The writing is definitely for the much younger reader. It was still a lot of fun though, and I definitely expected it to be quite childish going in. I am definitely finding that Sea of Monsters has stepped it up a bit. I’m excited to see how it progresses throughout the rest of the series.

Oh my goodness, I am completely in love with The Raven Cycle. Head over heels! I’m hoping I enjoy The Wolves of Mercy Falls at least half as much!

1. booksandmunches

July 3, 2017 at 7:34 pm

They are literally sitting in my bookcase, waiting to be read! I’ll just have to go on some kind of readathon to get through as much books as possible.
        People keep bringing up books that I have laying around but haven’t read yet and I’m not sure if it’s motivating or annoying anymore, haha!

July 3, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Haha totally fair enough! There are way too many books and definitely not enough time.

3. Poem Fanatic

July 3, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I was quite astonished at how differently Stiefvater managed to write both her series! I could barely find any similarities!

July 3, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I’m not very far into Shiver yet, but I am already getting that feeling. So far, it doesn’t feel familiar at all, which I am really liking.

4. Emma

July 3, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Shiver is one of those books I keep meaning to read but never get round to. It does sound good.

July 3, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I am such a huge fan of The Raven Cycle that I have to give the rest of her stuff a go. If it’s even half as good, I know I’ll love it!

5. Holly

July 3, 2017 at 11:06 pm

I read the Shiver series back in middle school I think and I remember really enjoying it. I’d say that Stiefvater’s storytelling has definitely improved since then (The Raven Cycle is SO GOOD) but Shiver is still a great one.

Yesterday I finished reading Hard Times by Dickens and now I’m reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

July 4, 2017 at 9:38 am

The Raven Cycle really is so beautiful! I can already feel how different her writing is in the Shiver Series,so I am really looking forward to see how the story unfolds.

I went through a major Dickens phase in High School and pretty much devoured every title of his I could get my hands on, but I have not read anything by Gaskell.

6. Laura @ Library of Clean Reads

July 4, 2017 at 12:49 am

I read The Scorpio Races by Stiefvater and enjoyed it. It’s fun when you begin reading books in a series that are already out. Enjoy your reading week!

July 4, 2017 at 9:41 am

I really need to get The Scorpio Races too. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it. I adore Stiefvaters writing, but I don’t think I can really call her a favourite till I’ve read at least most of her work!

July 4, 2017 at 9:42 am

Yes I agree, they can often be quite repetitive! I am a hopeless romantic though, so I’m a sucker for any kind of adorable romance, even if it’s been done over and over.

7. Kathy Martin

July 4, 2017 at 1:26 am

I use contemporaries as palate cleansers too and enjoyed Since You’ve Been Gone. The Shiver series is my favorite by Stiefvater. Don’t forget to read Sinner as part of it. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

July 4, 2017 at 9:43 am

I just picked up another Matson book at the library, so I may use that as my palate cleanser after the Shiver series. And thank you for the tip! I’ll make sure to pick up Sinner!

8. Cass, Words on Paper (@cc9309)

July 4, 2017 at 2:18 am

You just made me want to read Since You’ve Been Gone even more! <3 Checking out this playlist of yours. Hope you enjoy Shiver. I'm still not convinced if I should read this or just let it to rest… The Scorpio Races seems more interesting to me. 😛

Cass @ Words on Paper

July 4, 2017 at 9:48 am

Yay, you should totally read it. It’s super cute, and the playlists are a lot of fun.

Shiver is a little different to my usual book interests, but I love Maggie Stiefvater so I definitely want to give all her work a try!

9. Pussreboots

July 4, 2017 at 6:18 am

The Magnus Chase books are less childish than the Percy Jackson books. Drama camp was a hit with my daughter. My son is doing well with cross country. And our big move is less than two weeks away! Come see what I’ve been reading

July 4, 2017 at 9:50 am

They are on my TBR so I’m looking forward to them. I don’t mind the childish feeling of books like Percy Jackson. I always try and get in the mindset of thinking about my daughter reading them some day 🙂

Oh wow, not long now till your move! I hope the last few weeks of organizing go smoothly!

10. Anna

July 4, 2017 at 10:50 am

I’ve never heard of a book including playlists! That’s such a cool idea.
    Also I can’t be jealous of your winter (because I’m not a huge fan of winter) but it’s just so hot here I can’t help but be just a little envious 😉

July 4, 2017 at 11:04 am

It is a really cool idea. It makes the book super interactive as you can listen to the same playlists as the characters 🙂 I’m listening to one right now!

Haha I am definitely not jealous of your Summer! I can;t stand the heat! I’m definitely a Winter and Spring kinda gal.

Thanks for stopping by 🙂