Never Have I Ever… read Percy Jackson

This is a new post that I have decided I would like to try and do as often as possible. Never Have I Ever! The inspiration behind this came about while I was scrolling through one of the many bookish groups I am a part of on Facebook and I saw yet another conversation about Percy Jackson. I also recently added the series to my latest ‘Top Ten Tuesday’ post about ‘series I have been meaning to start’ which you can find HERE.

I know, I know! Many of you will be thinking WHAT!? She’s never read Percy Jackson???

Sadly it is true. Never have I ever… read Percy Jackson! *hides in absolute shame*

Now I don’t know how or why I missed the boat on this series. The idea behind the story sounds like something I am going to really love! Perhaps I was just a little too old when The Lightening Thief came out in 2005 so it simply passed me by. I feel like it has always kind of been in the back of my mind as a series I needed to get around to reading. But obviously I suck and never actually did anything about it…

However over the last few years I have seen it pop up a lot more often, on many lists along with a lot of my favourite books. I have finally decided to just give it a go.

My biggest worry about reading this series now, at almost 26, is that I may have just left it too long. That the adult world has corrupted my poor mind too much to enjoy this in a way I would have if I had read it when I was younger. However I am hoping I am still young enough at heart to fall head over heals in love with the world and the characters. There are very few things in this life that are as good as becoming completely immersed in an entirely new world through the words of someone else.

So this will be my first Never Have I Ever to correct! I AM GOING TO FIX THIS MARK ON MY READING RECORD! I am going to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians and I will keep you all updated as I make my way through the series!

If you have read Percy Jackson, how did you like it?

Did you read it when you were younger or is it something that you picked up later on like me?
And if you have any suggestions of books you think I may not have read and really really should do, let me know and they may end up as my next ‘Never Have I Ever’ selection.

1. booksandmunches

June 22, 2017 at 8:08 am

Hi!

As it happens, I just started reading this series myself since Sunday and already finished Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Currently half way Percy Jackson and the See of Monsters.
    I’m 24 myself and it’s also been on my TBR for ages so – thanks to the reading challenge I’m doing – it was time to dive into it!
    Up until now I’m really liking it. It does sometimes feel to me as if I’m a bit “too old” since it’s the perspective of a 12-year-old, but it does feel timeless at the same time.

I’m enjoying it so far, so I hope you’ll enjoy it too when you get to reading them! πŸ™‚

June 22, 2017 at 8:53 am

What a coincidence. That’s awesome, almost like reading buddies, haha! I am going to start The Lightening Thief today so hopefully I’ll have updates very soon!

I hope you continue to enjoy them!

1. booksandmunches

June 22, 2017 at 6:15 pm

They’re really easy to read! I finished the Sea of Monsters last night so I’m on to the third book, haha.

June 22, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Haha that’s awesome! Easy reads are good for the goodreads goal πŸ˜‰

I started The Lightening Thief but I had a tonne of adulting to do so I’ve been listening to the audiobook! Multitasking at its best πŸ˜‚

1. booksandmunches

June 22, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I’ll have to up my Goodreads goal since I’ve almost reached it. Only put it on 50 this year since I thought I’d have less time to read, but nope. Reading ahead of everything else, haha.

If it’s something I never succeed in, it’s listening to audio-books. I don’t know why, but after two sentences, I’ve zoned out already cause I’m doing other stuff. Tried it once and I literally don’t remember a thing of it. πŸ˜›

June 23, 2017 at 8:10 am

Haha 50 is great! I’ve got mine set at 40, but I think I’m going to have to up it as well. I’ve been reading a lot more lately.

I’m only able to listen when I’m doing pretty senseless jobs like folding washing or doing the dishes. Haha, anything else and I get distracted from the story!

3. booksandmunches

June 23, 2017 at 5:42 pm

It’s the first time I set my self a challenge like that and I’m amazed by how much it actually motivates me to read more! I’m even thinking about doubling my goal, haha!

Knowing me, I’d even get distracted then. Someone did tell me it might work to listen to audio books when driving, so I’m planning on giving that a try when I have to drive longer than fifteen minutes. πŸ˜€

June 25, 2017 at 1:26 pm

It really does motivate you right! I can’t stand seeing that I am behind on my challenge, so I just make a conscious effort to read instead of sitting around watching random game shows on TV. Haha!

I hope you manage to find a good time to listen to some audiobooks. Obviously I definitely prefer physical books, but it is really awesome being able to fill those times when you can’t read, with someone reading to you!

5. booksandmunches

June 26, 2017 at 6:57 am

Same here! As long as Goodreads isn’t telling me I’m behind on schedule, I’m happy.

True, but I think I’ll always prefer the physical books. Even though I’ve been thinking about getting an eReader lately since that would probably save me a ton of money… I’ll have to think about it for some time before I decide to do it or not.

I just finished the last book of Percy Jackson and the Olympians by the way! Absolutely loved it!

2. Cass, Words on Paper (@cc9309)

June 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Good on you for finally picking up the series! I also haven’t read it! >_< I barely pick up middle-grade, but when I do I really love it, so hopefully when I do eventually get around to it I'll love it. πŸ™‚ Hope to see your thoughts soon!

Cass @ Words on Paper

June 25, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Yes, I hardly pick it up either, unless I am having a nostalgic reread of a childhood favourite! I have started Percy Jackson now and I am enjoying it. Looking forward to getting further into the series!

3. Never Have I Ever... read Percy Jackson - UPDATE | Book & Bloom

July 2, 2017 at 7:33 pm

[…] really late to the party for this one! Once you get over the shock, you can read my original postΒ HERE. So I have decided to rectify this blemish on my reading record, and I started my read of the Percy […]

4. Never Have I Ever... read Percy Jackson UPDATE #2 | Book & Bloom

July 16, 2017 at 5:01 pm

[…] enjoying it quite a bit! Once again if you missed what is going on you can find the original post HERE, and my first update […]