It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? #3

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme to share what you recently finished reading, what you’re currently reading, and what you plan on reading next. It’s an awesome way to connect over books and to find out about new books for your TBR! This weekly post is hosted by the wonderful Bookdate.

What I read last week!

Friend Me (Mates, Dates #1 – #3)
& Besties (Mates, Dates #4 – #6) by Cathy Hopkins

For about a year now I have been collecting books for my daughter, particularly my childhood favourites. She is only a toddler now, but when she is old enough to be reading herself, I want there to be a whole shelf of amazing and appropriate stories for her to pick up as she pleases.

My hope is that this may help her to develop a life time love of reading, just like I developed at a young age. Part of collecting all these books has been reading them again as an adult. It has been an awesome experience, and it is so fun remembering just how much I loved all these stories when I was younger.

This time I picked up an old favourite of mine from when I was around 11 or 12. The Mates, Dates series. I remember devouring these as a tween during the Summer holidays, and then begging my Mum to buy me the next in the series.

Last week I spent a few days reading the first 6 stories and I found myself laughing a lot at how cute and dorky they all are! I hope my daughter enjoys these when she is older too, and maybe they might help her navigate the rough waters of growing up in the same way they helped me.

Currently Reading…

Meg & Linus – Hanna Nowinski

This is one of my library reads for the month and I am going to be honest and tell you that I was totally judging a book by its cover when I added this to my haul! It instantly caught my eye, and after a brief skim of the first page I decided I would give it a go.

I am about 1/3 of the way in now and oh my goodness, it is pretty damn adorable. Perfect dorky high school contemporary with plenty of nerdy references thrown, which is exactly my cup of tea. I am excited to see how it turns out, and just how many more Star Trek references get thrown in!

The Life and Loves of a He Devil – Graham Norton

It’s been a while since I picked up a Memoir, and when I found this for $1 at a book fair I figured it would be worth a read. My partner and I watch The Graham Norton show every week, so why not find out a bit more about the man asking all the questions.

I’m only about 50 pages into this one, but so far I am enjoying it quite a bit. The anecdotes have been pretty funny and light hearted at this stage, but I am looking forward to getting to some of the deeper stuff.

What’s Next?

The Love That Split The World – Emily Henry

Another book from my library haul for the month, however this one wasn’t an impulse selection. I had seen this around and it had been on my TBR for a while, so when I saw it on the shelf I had to grab it. I have heard mixed reviews about this one, but it sounds like it is perfect for me. A little bit cute, a little bit weird, with a beautiful boy thrown in, what more could you want?

Hoping I am in the group of people who had a positive experience with this book, however I am feeling pretty good about it and am excited to start it asap!

What are you reading this week? Anything exciting coming up next for you?

1. Pussreboots

June 12, 2017 at 4:15 pm

I read the Love that Split the World last year when it first came out. Loved it. The move is really happening. We have temporary housing squared away and most of our home library in storage now. Come see what I’m reading this week.

June 13, 2017 at 8:41 am

Ooh nice to hear a positive right before I start reading it. I am looking forward to it.

Ahh, moving is so stressful! I hope you get through it without too many breakdowns, haha. We are currently looking for a new place to live as there is a large section right next to our house that they are selling and turning into a subdivision. We really don’t want to live next to a construction zone, so time to move 🙁

2. admin

June 12, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Friends & Besties look interesting. I haven’t read those yet, but the blurbs are intriguing. Hope you enjoy reading this week.

My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

June 13, 2017 at 9:11 am

They are pretty cute tweeny dramas. Haha!

3. Kathy Martin

June 13, 2017 at 2:21 am

All of your books are new to me. I can relate to reading books that I read and loved when I was younger. I’m unpacking my book boxes and discovering all kinds of books I want to read again. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

June 13, 2017 at 9:12 am

It is a lot of fun going back and reading them again as an adult.

4. Laurel-Rain Snow

June 13, 2017 at 4:09 am

How great that you are collecting books for your daughter. I didn’t have my own bookshelves as a child, but my mother did take me to the library…a lot.

Enjoy! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

June 13, 2017 at 9:13 am

Thanks 🙂 I’m really enjoying creating a little collection for her! We go to the library a lot too, so I plan to keep that up with her as well.

5. herding cats (@herdingcats2012)

June 13, 2017 at 4:11 am

That is so neat that you’re collecting books for your daughter. Hope you have a lovely week!
    Anna

June 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

Thank you 🙂 it’s been a lot of fun! I still have many gaps to fill in her collection though! Maybe I’ll post about it on the blog one day 🙂

6. Poem Fanatic @ Poems and Poets

June 13, 2017 at 3:59 pm

Going through my childhood books was always interesting- but I’m more excited to look back upon my teen reeds a few years down the line!

June 15, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I feel like all the things we loved as teenagers are what really help define us as adults.

7. Megan (@Book_Birds)

June 19, 2017 at 9:23 am

I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on The Love That Split the World – I’ve been meaning to read that one for ages! <3
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

June 19, 2017 at 10:02 am

I am really really enjoying it! I’m about halfway through now and so far I’d definitely recommend!

8. Reading with Beth

June 19, 2017 at 9:53 am

I often watch the Graham Norton show, so I’ll check out that book, too! 🙂

June 19, 2017 at 10:03 am

It’s very entertaining. Definitely worth a read if you like watching his show.