Top Ten Tuesday – Summer Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely group over at The Broke and the Bookish. This weeks Top Ten Tuesday prompt was Summer Reads. This is kind of a funny topic to be writing about as down here in the Southern Hemisphere we are heading into Winter. However, I really love saving certain reads till the summer months, so I will gladly share some of those with you despite how cold my feet are right now.

1. Paper Towns – John Green
I love reading a John Green book on a nice Summers day. They are both light and deep all at once, and always full of realistic adventure. Paper Towns is my favourite by John and I will definitely be picking it up again once the sun comes back.

2. The Selection – Kiera Cass
A guilty pleasure of mine is The Selection Series. Probably because it resembles The Bachelor in many ways, and I am a shameless Bachelor Addict! This series is great for Summer as they are light and fast reads, but packed full of romance and swoon worthy moments.

3. The Lucky One – Nicholas Sparks
Nicholas Sparks is seriously the King of Romance, and I really love reading books with a little romance during the Summer months. There is not a single one of his novels that I have not fallen in love with. However The Lucky One is my favourite (and not because Zac Efron plays Logan in the movie adaptation… although that definitely doesn’t hurt).

4. Keeping the Moon – Sarah Dessen
This was the first Sarah Dessen book I ever read, so it is definitely one I always recommend. Sarah’s books are my go to books to take on holiday. They are quick and easy reads, and are perfect to read on the beach or by the pool.

5. The Raven Boys – Maggie Stiefvater
My ideal Summer would be riding around in the old Camaro with Blue and the boys, top down and music loud, chasing some fallen King or ancient Relic. Spending afternoons in Cabeswater listening to trees and looking for Lily’s. The way Maggie descibes the nature and seasons in this series is absolutely beautiful, and makes it a perfect Summer read for me.

6. A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah J. Maas
I feel like this series is definitely an all year round kind of read, but since the plot weaves in and out of all the Seasonal Courts, including the Summer Court, I had to include it in my list. I am only a recent fan of this series, but I have jumped on the bandwagon at full speed!

7. Pride & Prejudice – Jane Austen
I always like to read some of the Classics during the Spring and Summer months. Sitting in a beautiful blooming garden with an ice tea and a Jane Austen novel would be an ideal Summers day for me.

8. On The Road – Jack Kerouac
I don’t know about you but Summer days always make me want to take a road trip. Just get in the car and drive somewhere new and exciting. On The Road takes me on a spontaneous adventure from the comfort of my home. Perfect for those times where I am unable to simply drop everything and leave.

9. Fangirl – Rainbow Rowell
Contemporary YA novels are always a great choice for summer in my opinion. Fangirl is definitely one of my favourites. I see so much of myself and my past in the characters, which makes it a very enjoyable and funny read.

10. Talking As Fast As I Can – Lauren Graham
Another go to Summer read for me is a Memoir. This is definitely my current favourite. As a huge Gilmore Girls fan (with the tattoo to prove it), this was definitely a super enjoyable read. I find that I definitely prefer to read memoirs in the summer months. They are usually an easy read that you can put down and pick back up at a leisurely pace.

What would you have on your summer reads list?
Leave a comment and let me know πŸ™‚

1. Chrissi Reads

May 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Brilliant list! I can see how many of these books would appeal for a summer read!

2. Julie @ Happily Ever Chapter

May 23, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I LOVED Fangirl! That one was definitely one of my absolute favorites! I have ACOTAR on my TBR list. I own the 2nd book too, and I’m actually waiting for the 3rd to come in the mail so I can read them all together. lol! Great list!

May 24, 2017 at 8:18 am

Good idea waiting till you have all 3! I was late to the party but still had to wait a few weeks for the third to be released, and that sucked enough. I really feel for those who had to wait a whole year! I really hope you enjoy them πŸ™‚

3. Alisia @ 4thhouseontheleft

May 24, 2017 at 4:02 am

I can’t think of anything better than spending the summer with the Gilmore Girls! Lauren Graham’s memoir looks like a fun read.

May 24, 2017 at 8:19 am

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy days of Summer! Her memoir is definitely a fun read. She writes like she talks so its all pretty fast paced and witty.

4. Astilbe

May 24, 2017 at 6:47 am

You know, I have never read Pride & Prejudice. Your post is making me think I should finally change this. πŸ™‚

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday

May 24, 2017 at 8:20 am

Oh I hope you give it a go! It really is a lovely read.

5. Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

May 24, 2017 at 6:55 am

Wonderful list!! The Selection series is a guilty pleasure for me as well. I just read the original trilogy a couple months ago, and I was addicted! Definitely a good summer read. AND FANGIRL!!! I read it last summer and ugh just so perfect. Hopefully your feet don’t freeze off haha.

~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover
    My TTT!

May 24, 2017 at 8:25 am

I am definitely ready for a Selection Series reread once the weather warms up. But for now I am really enjoying the cold! Nothing better than curling up with a blanket and a hot drink and reading while it rains outside!

6. Chanda Atkinson

May 24, 2017 at 8:00 am

I just Finished Blue Lily, Lily Blue and am moving onto The Raven King next! I agree it’s the perfect β€œSummer Read”!

My TTT, if you’re interested

May 24, 2017 at 8:27 am

I read the series last year and I am definitely keen for a reread. Take me back to Cabeswater any day. It’s such a beautiful story. I really hope you enjoy The Raven King πŸ™‚

7. Susan (Bloggin' 'bout Books)

May 24, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Lucky you! I’ll trade this horrid almost-summer weather for nice wintry weather any day.
    Great list. I’ve only read FANGIRL. Some of these others are already on my TBR list β€” I just need to get to them!

May 24, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I am so happy that it’s almost Winter here. Nothing better than snuggling up with a blanket, a warm drink and a good book while it rains outside. I hope you enjoy the ones you haven’t read yet πŸ™‚

8. Danie

May 25, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I really have got to finish The Selection series. I read the first three, back when it was just going to be a trilogy, but then it got added onto. And I hear so many good things about The Raven Boys! I want to read it, but I”m scared I’ll be disappointed by the hype.

May 25, 2017 at 2:17 pm

The first 3 are definitely the best, but I didn’t mind the others. And The Raven Boys is fantastic. I read them all last year and they were definitely my favourite new reads of 2016! I hope you enjoy them!

9. Top Ten Tuesday - Series I've Been Meaning To Start | Book & Bloom

June 20, 2017 at 4:29 pm

[…] You can check out my previous Top Ten Tuesday on my favourite Summer Reads HERE […]