It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? #1

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme to share what you recently finished reading, what you’re currently reading, and what you plan on reading next. It’s an awesome way to connect over books and to find out about new books for your TBR! This weekly post is hosted by the wonderful Bookdate.

Hopefully I will be doing this every week and I really hope you all join in the comments. I would really love to hear from you all!

What I Read Last Week!

Vassa in the Night – Sarah Porter
This was the book that was included in the October 2016 Owl Crate (yes, I have only just got around to reading it!). The theme for Octobers box was Once Upon A Dream and this book definitely fit the theme very well!

The whole book felt like a dream! It was inspired by the Russian folktale Vassilissa the Beautiful and it was extraordinarily weird, in a rather wonderful way. If you like a bit of weird in your life, I would definitely recommend Vassa in the Night!

Currently Reading…

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) – Cassandra Clare
With Lord of Shadows coming out tomorrow I am on a mission to finish my reread of Lady Midnight before my preorder arrives on my doorstep! I have half the book to finish and not a lot of time, but I accept the challenge!

I only read this book once previously back when it was released and even though I really really enjoyed it then, I am enjoying it even more now. There are so many things I looked over the first time that I am noticing now. The amazing depth of certain characters is something I am appreciating more this time around, and the way that this world keeps building and building is fantastic.

What’s Next?

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) – Cassandra Clare
This is probably my most anticipated release of the year! I feel like I have been waiting the longest time for the next installment of this series. The way Lady Midnight ended made me so excited to continue with this story, and the wait has only amplified that excitement.

I am hoping to get through this slow and steady, and savor ever moment. However I know myself well enough to know that I will probably have it finished in no time at all!

What are you reading this week? Anyone else super excited for Lord of Shadows too?

1. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz

May 22, 2017 at 10:51 am

Vassa in the Night sounds like my kind of story! Thanks for sharing it. Welcome to this meme!

1. toniemma

May 22, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Thank you, I’m excited to join in! I really hope you enjoy Vassa in the Night!

2. Kathy Martin

May 22, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I have a bunch of books by Cassandra Clare on my TBR mountain and haven’t had a chance to read any of them yet. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

1. toniemma

May 22, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I highly recommend the Shadowhunter books when you get the time! However, my advice is to read them in order of publication and not one series at a time! The stories will still make sense if you read each series separately, but there will be some awesome moments that lose their full impact!

3. Majanka

May 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm

I must’ve been living on a rock because I didn’t realize Lord of Shadows was out yet. Oops. Hope you enjoy your books!

My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

1. toniemma

May 22, 2017 at 9:06 pm

It’s officially out today in my country, however I’ve seen that people managed to get it early so I’ve been having to avoid spoilers everywhere!

4. Sarah @ PussReboots

May 22, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I’m adding Vassa in the Night to my wishlist. My husband is home. My daughter had two pieces in her school’s art show. And we got new cement poured at the bottom of our stoop. Come see what I’m reading.

1. toniemma

May 22, 2017 at 9:15 pm

I really hope you enjoy Vassa in the Night!

5. Casey @ She's All Booked

May 23, 2017 at 1:30 am

I’m currently listening to The Bear and the Nightingale, and it’s also about a Russian girl named Vassalisa – wonder if they’re both loosely based on the same folktale?! I’ll have to do some research now! I’ve thought about Owl Crate – do you enjoy it?

1. toniemma

May 22, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Oooh, I’ll have to check that one out too! Yeah, I really love Owl Crate. Sometimes I skip if the theme isn’t something I’m particularly interested in or if the sneak peaks of items aren’t things I am wanting. But most of the time they hit it out of the park. I skipped the May box, however I have a friend who received it and will be writing a review on it for me to share with you all. That should be up early next month 🙂